Thursday, April 20, 2023

Inverter Installation

There are a lot of inverters out there however hands down I bought the Outback Inverter (Marine - sealed, Export version 12v DC to 230v AC). I can vouch for these inverters! I already have an off-grid 24v inverter installed at home and it delivers what it promises. Weighting a whopping 30kg, one can easily acknowledge how robust these inverters are built.


I found this photo on the web. It can be clearly seen why the inverter is so heavy. Bottom right there seems to be a huge transformer.



Some Basic stats;
    Pure Sinewave
    DC 12v Input 
    AC 230v Output
    Continuous power 2000VA which can surge to 4600VA for 100ms.

The inverter has been connected using 70mm marine grade cable which is good enough to handle the DC current with minimal voltage drop. Please refer to the wire chart at the bottom of this post.
The inverter has been protected by a 120amp circuit breaker. I'm limiting the current which the inverter can draw to 120amp or 10amp AC on the high side which is more then enough for my needs. The inverter can also be switched off when not needed (to eliminate the standby current drain on the batteries). The battery switch has been overrated and in fact can handle 275amp. This will ensure a longer switch life since it will not be operating at to it's maximum ratings.



The Inverter switch (left) has been fitted next to another 3 main switches which I fitted myself. The middle switch is used to connected another set of deep cycle batteries situated at the stern of the boat. I covered these batteries in a separate post. The right switch is used to disconnect the solar panels.



The Inverter circuit breaker has been fitted under the main saloon seat just next to the inverter.


Below are the pictures showing the inverter installation and location. It has been fitted to the boat although considering it's weight it won't move easily.
The location is underneath the starboard saloon seats.


 


The load which I'll be powering with these inverter are;
  • 900W Toaster
  • 1200W Electric Kettle
  • 240v AC points
  • Small (10litre) air compressor
  • 240v Water pump (used to flush the black water tanks & Deck wash)
Obviously I won't be powering all these loads at once.


Below is a Cable Rating chart which I use to select my DC wire sizes.


Some related documents.


No comments:

Post a Comment