Monday, May 4, 2015

The Downfall


On the 7th of November 2014, Malta was hit by a gale force storm. It hit the island in the early afternoon and although lasting for only a few hours, it caused a lot of damage across the island, from trees being uprooted to power towers and walls collapsing.

My wind turbine was not spared!
Below are the photos of the damage suffered. One of the blades got stuck due to the strong wind.



The photo below is displaying one of the guy anchoring support which got detached from the building. It was fixed to the stone building using two 8mm stainless steel raw bolts.



Once one of the guy wires got loose, the stress on the turbine pipe was too much and it collapsed!


After this, I decided that for now I won't be using the wind turbine. I will first build a stronger tower relying less on guy wires since this accident already happened another time!

I'll be posting the details of the new turbine tower once it's ready. I'll definitely build another tower because I have just bought a new set of blades from emarine - Silentwind Silent Air X Air 30 Replacement Power Blades. I obviously haven't tried them yet but these blades seem very promising!

No comments:

Post a Comment